Concrete Finisher - Dexter Construction
Dexter Construction Company is a large, diversified Construction Company engaged in all major aspects of the heavy civil construction industry within the Atlantic Provinces. We are currently looking for Concrete Finisher’s to join our Bedford Operations for the 2020 season.
Under the direction of the Foreman, the Concrete Finisher is responsible for performing a variety of tasks including placing, finishing, protecting, and repairing concrete on surfaces of poured concrete, such as floors, walks, sidewalks, roads, or curbs.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operate a screed to level freshly placed concrete according to grade and depth specification;
- Ensure a smooth concrete surface using a hand trowel, long handled bull float, or powered float;
- Cut joint/grooves in concrete with edging tools to help control cracking;
- Cut out damaged areas, drill holes for reinforcing rods, and position reinforcing rods to repair concrete, using power saw and drill;
- Apply hardening and sealing components to cure surfaces;
- Monitor the wind and air temperature to ensure proper curing of the concrete;
- Placing and finishing concrete
- Raking, leveling and screeding
- Profiling walks, curbs and gutters, median curbs, swales and driveway crossings
- Knowledge of dyes, hardeners, cures, retardants, concrete mixer and rebar placement
- Able to use hand tools, floats, cutters and edger’s
- Knowledge in broom finish, exposed aggregates and stamped concrete
- Ensure a safe work environment in compliance with all safety policies and procedures using the appropriate tools and equipment for the task
- Ensure safety of fellow employees
- Perform other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, and Experience:
- Ability to follow a firm work schedule as directed by supervisor
- Ideally 2-3 years’ experience in forming, pouring and finishing concrete sidewalks, curbs and other flatwork
- Must be well versed in construction site protocols, rules and code of conduct
- Ability to perform a variety of manual tasks requiring the use of independent judgment and action
- Willingness to work in a team environment
- Ability to operate required equipment in a safe and responsible manner
- Comply with all safety policies and procedures
- Ability to effectively communicate with co-workers and supervisors to ensure that projects are completed properly
- Working safely is a condition of employment.
The Concrete Finisher has a physically strenuous and demanding job. The Concrete Finisher will be lifting, pulling and managing heavy equipment and objects, requiring the use of PPE, Hardhat, Steel Toe Boots, and reflective vest to minimize risk on the worksite. The worksite environment for this position is outside in varying weather conditions.
How to Apply:
Dexter Construction offers a competitive compensation and benefit package and is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage all interested candidates to submit a detailed resume to:
We would like to thank all those who apply; however only those selected for an interview will be notified.