Excavator Operator - Dexter Newfoundland
Dexter Construction is a large, diversified Construction Company engaged in all major aspects of the heavy civil construction industry within the Atlantic Provinces. We are currently seeking Excavator Operators to join our operations out of St.John’s N.L. This position will be based out of St. John’s but may involve travel to other parts of the province as the need arises.
Under the direction of the Foreman, the Excavator Operator is responsible for operating heavy equipment to excavate, move, load, and grade materials such as earth, rock, and gravel on the worksite. The Excavator Operator is also responsible for inspecting, cleaning, and maintaining equipment.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the excavator
- Ensure trench is excavated to the proper depth, grade, and slope
- Follow directions of ground crew regarding craning, gravel placement and grading
- Ability to cut grade with minimal time spent on excavating to ensure production is on schedule
- Be aware of changes in soil conditions and materials that impact operations
- Conduct trench work so that it meets OH&S requirements
- Perform daily safety and maintenance checks
- Advise the Foreman of any requirements for maintenance or repairs
- Be aware of surroundings at all times
- Ensure a safe work environment in compliance with all safety policies and procedures using the appropriate tools and equipment for the task
- Protect and promote the interest of this company in all matters and to take actions as required to satisfy such responsibilities
- Ensure safety of fellow employees
- Perform other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, and Experience:
- 2 years’ experience in a construction environment
- Must be well versed in construction site protocols, rules and code of conduct
- Ability to operate equipment using advanced grading techniques (i.e., GPS)
- Willingness to work in a team environment
- Ability to operate required equipment in a safe and responsible manner
- Comply with all safety policies and procedures
- Ability to effectively communicate with co-workers and supervisors to ensure that projects are completed properly
- Experience with water and sewer work considered an asset
- Working safely is a condition of employment
The Excavator Operator role may include physically strenuous activities. The Excavator Operator will be lifting, pulling, and managing heavy equipment and objects. The Excavator Operator will require the use of PPE, Hardhat, Steel Toe Boots, and reflective vest to minimize risk on the worksite. The worksite environment for this position is outside in varying weather conditions.
A comprehensive pension and benefits package are offered with this position along with opportunities for advancement and training and development.
We are an equal opportunity employer that encourages all interested candidates to submit a detailed resume to:
We would like to thank all those who apply; however only those selected for an interview will be notified.