Health & Safety Manager - Dexter Construction
The Municipal Group of Companies, based in Bedford Nova Scotia, is a large diversified organization engaged in all major aspects of the heavy civil construction, mining and environmental services within the Atlantic Provinces. We are currently seeking a Health and Safety Manager to join our safety department out of our Bedford office.
The Health and Safety Manager ensures the safe operation of the facilities, job sites, and day to day activities of the Municipal Group of Companies and affiliated Companies. The Health and Safety Manager is to know, advises, and enforce company safety program, safety policies, company rules, The Occupational Health and Safety Act applicable to the company’s operations. The Health and Safety Manager provide direction and manage the activities of the Safety Officers and report to the Director of Safety.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Control, monitor and amend as required the Company Safety Program, ensuring government compliance;
- Develop and implement safety training and education programs for Company employees to ensure compliance with federal, provincial and local regulations to include the Health and Safety Act, Department of Labour, Department of Transportation and the Department of the Environment;
- Coordinate Safety activities with the Director of Safety;
- Coordinate all company training programs/courses and ensure certification certificates are received by employees;
- Coordinate the work of the Safety Officers by actively managing their workflow;
- On request, provide upper management with statistical data on accidents/incidents and severity and frequency rates as required;
- Represent the Safety Department in management meetings, with Government Agencies, the General Public, and any other organization.
- Any other duties as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, and Experience:
- Minimum 10 years experience as a Safety Officer;
- Previous experience in a safety role is a requirement (construction industry is an asset);
- Professional Safety designation or willingness to work towards such a designation is also required
- Fluent knowledge of all necessary Government Acts, Legislation and Requirements;
- Utilizes strong organization skills;
- Experience using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook);
- Display strong written and oral communication skills and employs effective listening skills;
- Tactful and mature demeanour with well developed interpersonal skills including the ability to work well with diverse personalities;
- Ability to design and implement solutions to safety issues and make decisions related to the job.
A comprehensive pension and benefits package are offered with this position along with opportunities for advancement and training and development.
Completed applications should be submitted to:
Attention: Jessica Wilson
Via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please reference Health and Safety Manager in the subject line.
We are an equal opportunity employer that encourages all interested candidates to submit a detailed resume.
We would like to thank all those who apply; however only those selected for an interview will be notified.