Pipe Layer - Dexter Construction
Dexter Construction Company is a large, diversified Construction Company engaged in all major aspects of the heavy civil construction industry within the Atlantic Provinces. We are currently looking for Pipe Layer to join our operations out of Bedford, Nova Scotia for the 2021 season. These positions will be based out of Bedford, but may involve travel to other parts of the province as the need arises
Under the direction of the Pipe Foreman, the Pipe Layer is responsible for the skilled installation and maintenance of sewer and water mains, and related appurtenances. The position will also be responsible for the skilled operation and use of pipe laying levels, lasers, hand and mechanical compactors, cut-off saws and any other related equipment.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Align and position pipes to prepare them for connection
- Check slopes for conformance to requirements
- Connect pipe pieces and seal joints
- Cover pipes with gravel or fill material
- Cut pipes to required lengths
- Follow pipe routes as per layout
- Repair and maintain tools and equipment
- May dig holes or drainage ditches using shovels and/or picks
- Be aware of surroundings at all times
- Ensure a safe work environment in compliance with all safety policies and procedures using the appropriate tools and equipment for the task
- Protect and promote the interest of this company in all matters and to take actions as required to satisfy such responsibilities
- Ensure safety of fellow employees
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, and Experience:
- Ability to follow a firm work schedule as directed by supervisor
- Must be well versed in construction site protocols, rules and code of conduct
- Ability to perform a variety of manual tasks requiring the use of independent judgment and action
- Willingness to work in a team environment
- Ability to read and understand plans and as-constructed details of underground utilities
- Ability to operate required equipment in a safe and responsible manner
- Comply with all safety policies and procedures
- Ability to effectively communicate with co-workers and supervisors to ensure that projects are completed properly
- Working safely is a condition of employment.
The Pipe Layer has a physically strenuous and demanding job. The Pipe Layer will be lifting, pulling and managing heavy equipment and objects, requiring the use of PPE, Hardhat, Steel Toe Boots, and reflective vest to minimize risk on the worksite. The worksite environment for this position is outside in varying weather conditions.
A comprehensive pension and benefits package are offered with this position along with opportunities for advancement and training and development.
Completed applications should be submitted to:
Attn: Chelsey Haley
Please reference “Pipe Layer” in the subject line.
We are an equal opportunity employer that encourages all interested candidates to submit a detailed resume.
We would like to thank all those who apply; however only those selected for an interview will be notified.