Project Manager - Dexter Construction
Dexter Construction Company, Part of The Municipal Group of Companies is a large, diversified Construction Company engaged in all major aspects of the heavy civil construction industry within the Atlantic Provinces. We are currently seeking a Heavy Civil Construction Project Manager to join our expanding team based out of our main office in Bedford, Nova Scotia.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attends and participates in Job Handover Meeting, including Critical Path scheduling, Document organization and control, equipment and manpower requirements, and review of the estimate for completeness of take-off, scope and pricing.
- Oversee Control of Project cost by development of project budget with the estimator
- Attend all job progress meetings
- Develop, maintain and regularly review up-to-date project progress information, including Critical Path scheduling, Work in Progress Reports, and analysis of all job costs
- Work with the General Superintendent and on-site superintendent to coordinate the activities of the Foremen and subcontractor work crews as required
- Provides necessary documents to field superintendents, foremen and Project Coordinators in a timely manner and follow up on all open action items.
- Provide on-going support to field personnel to help identify and remove obstacles that impact construction progress, resolve challenges with respective owners and to identify and implement profit improvement strategies to the job, as needed
- Provide assistance to owners in modifications resulting in Change orders.
- Coordinate, price, and process change orders or technical problems with owner requirements, suppliers, superintendents, and subcontractors and utilizes estimating when required. Resolve change orders with owners timely.
- Review project job cost reports regularly and ensure project profitability.
- Review time sheets, all purchase orders, delivery tickets, subcontractor requisitions, and invoices to ensure that they are coded correctly for project costing.
- Visit project sites daily for troubleshooting and for the purposes of ensuring project quality.
- Initiate and review regular project billing
- Is responsible for the overall safety of all manpower working on the contract, proactively supports the corporate safety program and sets a positive example
- Develops, chairs and initiate all job closeout activities, including preparation of as-built drawings, retaining release from subcontractors, ensuring warranty information provided to owner, final payment quantities and payment and recovery of holdback
- Acts in a leadership position including, challenging others to develop as leaders while serving as a role model and mentor, Inspire coworkers to attain goals and pursue excellence, identify opportunities for improvement and makes constructive suggestions for change, remain on the forefront of emerging industry practices
- Any other duties as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, and Experience:
- 5-10 years’ experience managing construction projects. Civil Construction experience is a must
- High attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
- Utilizes strong organizational and planning skills;
- Strong computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Power Point, Outlook)
The Project Manager may be required to work long office hours and use a computer. Field work and company site visits will frequently be required, and will require the use of minimum PPE (Hardhat, Steel Toe Boots, reflective vest, etc.). Other PPE might also be necessary and will be driven by the environment of the work sites (specialized PPE, Gas monitors, Fall Arrest and Breathing Apparatus). Other travel on behalf of the company may be necessary to represent the Company or Project.
A comprehensive pension and benefits package are offered with this position along with opportunities for advancement and training and development.
Completed applications should be submitted to:
We are an equal opportunity employer that encourages all interested candidates to submit a detailed resume.
We would like to thank all those who apply; however only those selected for an interview will be notified.