Superintendent - Dexter Construction
Dexter Construction Company, Part of The Municipal Group of Companies is a large, diversified Construction Company engaged in all major aspects of the heavy civil construction industry within the Atlantic Provinces. We are currently seeking a Superintendent to join our expanding team based out of our main office in Bedford, Nova Scotia.
The Superintendent coordinates all activities for the site and supervises all field personnel as required to successfully complete the project on schedule and within budget. The Superintendent is responsible for maintaining the highest quality of work, supervising all trade and field personnel, and administering good construction safety practices with all on-site activities.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure a safe work environment for themselves and fellow employees; in compliance with all safety policies and procedures using the appropriate tools and equipment for the task;
- Ensure that the field operations are well organized, and efficient in the respective operation
- Participate in establishing goals and objectives for the field operations of the company
- Ensure the planning process is followed including meeting the Critical Path schedule as developed by the Project Management team;
- Ensure that construction budget targets are met or exceeded, through on-site supervision and helping to establish action plans to beat the budget.
- Trouble shoots difficult construction problems;
- Provide on-going support to personnel to help identify and remove obstacles that impact construction progress, and to identify and implement profit improvement strategies to the job, as needed
- Requisition materials and furnish information for proper costing of invoices
- Review project job cost reports regularly, and ensure project profitability.
- Any other duties as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, and Experience:
- 7-10 years previous experience working or equivalent construction experience;
- Civil Engineering background (i.e. CET) or equivalent experience;
- High attention to detail in completing work tasks;
- Must be knowledgeable in all aspects of civil construction;
- Strong management, delegation, planning and leadership skills;
- High level of sound and independent judgment and reasoning;
- Comply with all safety policies and procedures;
- Able to deal with people tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times;
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing;
- Working safely is a condition of employment.
The Superintendent will require the use of PPE, Hardhat, Steel Toe Boots, and reflective vest to minimize risk on the worksite. Other travel on behalf of the company may be necessary to represent the Company or Project.
A comprehensive pension and benefits package are offered with this position along with opportunities for advancement and training and development.
Completed applications should be submitted to:
Attention: Jessica Wilson
Please reference “Superintendent” in the subject line.
We are an equal opportunity employer that encourages all interested candidates to submit a detailed resume.
We would like to thank all those who apply; however only those selected for an interview will be notified.